3.09.2005

Getting back into gear again...but then this...

I received this e-mail today as I was trying to re-establish A's schedule at his marine science internship:

"Due to the event of a tragic incident involving (Alexander's very young college-age supervisor and friend), It will take some time for us to respond to your emails. Please if you had any correspondence with (Alexander's very young college-age supervisor and friend):

Submit a summary on what projects or requests you were working on so that we may be of assistance to you.

For any INTERN matters please address your inquiries to XXXXXXXX@XXXXXX.org.

We ask that you be patient with us during this hard time as we keep the family of (college-age supervisor) in our heart and prayers.

Thank you.
From the staff at
The River Project"

I don't know how to break this news to A. If at all.

4 comments:

Orion said...

Oh no...well, A seems to be mature enough to handle something like this, I wouldn't suggest hiding it from him. Do you know what happened exactly?

la Maitresse said...

Haven't heard back from the folks at where (college-age supervisor and friend) worked. So I am not going to disclose anything to A until I get a clearer response. Then I have to figure out how to break the news. This sucks. We've had other kinds of losses before (pets, etc.) Not human losses. And definitely not someone who had been so close to A, in an instructive, verbal, and supportive role. A spent up to 8 hours a day researching, studying, and boating with this guy. Sucks, sucks, sucks.

M said...

Oh dear. Something similar happened to me when I was in 5th grade. We'd been working for a couple years with a particular Gifted & Talented teacher's aide, and she died rather tragically and suddenly in a motorcycle accident. I don't recall quite how they broke the news to us, though. I do remember that we did a lot of journal writing type exercises and had a lot of classroom chats to talk it all over.

la Maitresse said...

OK. I got the details. Not good, very tragic incident, the details are terrible.

Now, to deal with the (modified) news-giving. : (