2.27.2006

What we did today (Okay?)

This morning:

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's get started on our Shakespeare.
A: No, I'm going to read my book first.
Me: Okay.

A reads for one hour. I blog, write, walk the dog, cook, write some more, get phone calls, make phone calls, etc., etc.

A begins to play Nirvana on the guitar, Jimi Hendrix, stuff that I hear 100X/day.

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's do our Shakespeare.
A: Hmph.
Me: Excuse?
A: HMPH.

We do our Shakespeare.

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's work on our Art.
A: DO WE HAVE TO?
Me: Yes.
A: HMPH.

A turns out a beautiful sketch.

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's continue with our History.
A: Huh?
Me: Our History. Since we've finished the chapter, please answer the critical thinking and comprehension questions.
A: HMPH.

A spends around 30-45 minutes thoughtfully working on this task. And finishes.
We break for lunch.

Afternoon:

Me: Okay, let's have some fun.
A: ?
Me: Let's do our Math now.
A: I don't feel like it.
Me: I don't care.

I begin to explain today's lesson. I speak in monotone. I read directly off the page. Oh, yes, this lesson is GOING TO BE A LONG ONE.

A: Mom, look, I get it, okay?
Me: Okay. Would you like to read the lesson on your own?
A: DUH!!!

A finishes Math lesson in 30 minutes. It really is too easy for him.
And: He gets ready for rowing practice. And leaves to take the train to the boathouse.

I work, write e-mails, schmooze with friends, stress out about minor things, walk the dog some more, do the groceries.

A walks in.

Me: How was practice?
A: Good. I'm exhausted.

I serve dinner.

A plays Ravi Shankar music that he has downloaded on LimeWire. Lights incense.

END SCENE.

Note to self: Sometimes prodding is okay.

1 comment:

Princess Ennui said...

Thank goodness! I was getting very worried about A last night...spent much time wondering if he had gone to practice. Good thing he has the motivator...I could use that...mayhaps you could come down here and prod me into action on a few things.