2.27.2006

What we did today (Okay?)

This morning:

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's get started on our Shakespeare.
A: No, I'm going to read my book first.
Me: Okay.

A reads for one hour. I blog, write, walk the dog, cook, write some more, get phone calls, make phone calls, etc., etc.

A begins to play Nirvana on the guitar, Jimi Hendrix, stuff that I hear 100X/day.

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's do our Shakespeare.
A: Hmph.
Me: Excuse?
A: HMPH.

We do our Shakespeare.

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's work on our Art.
A: DO WE HAVE TO?
Me: Yes.
A: HMPH.

A turns out a beautiful sketch.

Me: How do your legs feel?
A: Terrible. I can't go to practice.
Me: Okay, let's continue with our History.
A: Huh?
Me: Our History. Since we've finished the chapter, please answer the critical thinking and comprehension questions.
A: HMPH.

A spends around 30-45 minutes thoughtfully working on this task. And finishes.
We break for lunch.

Afternoon:

Me: Okay, let's have some fun.
A: ?
Me: Let's do our Math now.
A: I don't feel like it.
Me: I don't care.

I begin to explain today's lesson. I speak in monotone. I read directly off the page. Oh, yes, this lesson is GOING TO BE A LONG ONE.

A: Mom, look, I get it, okay?
Me: Okay. Would you like to read the lesson on your own?
A: DUH!!!

A finishes Math lesson in 30 minutes. It really is too easy for him.
And: He gets ready for rowing practice. And leaves to take the train to the boathouse.

I work, write e-mails, schmooze with friends, stress out about minor things, walk the dog some more, do the groceries.

A walks in.

Me: How was practice?
A: Good. I'm exhausted.

I serve dinner.

A plays Ravi Shankar music that he has downloaded on LimeWire. Lights incense.

END SCENE.

Note to self: Sometimes prodding is okay.

No comments: