7.11.2006

What we're reading...





A just finished The Telling Pool, a bar mitzvah gift he received from my senior editor friend. He is now reading Ender's Game.



I am reading The Known World. My goodness. What a cast of characters. What an incredible read. And for anyone who says that Africans were better off in our country as slaves than in their native Africa (as that dude who called in on NPR several years ago, one 4th of July, said was the case), ought to do himself a favor and read this book. 'Nuff said.

4 comments:

M said...

Thanks for the post; I've picked up "The Known World" at our local library and will read it after I finish "Never Let Me Go" (which I am reading at my husband's insistance because he desperately wants to discuss it at length).

la Maitresse said...

"Never Let Me Go" was difficult for me to "get into" at first. The story opens in such a bland and ho-hum way...which is what is so exciting about the way it's written, once you realize what is actually happening in the novel.

Great discussion book.

Anonymous said...

If A. enjoys Ender's Game, then he might enjoy reading the other Ender book by Card titled Ender's Shadow. It is the same series of events but told from the viewpoint of another character, Bean.

I'm not much of a sci-fi fan, but I did enjoy both of those books.

Jill

M said...

My husband has read all the Ender books; there are four of them, I think? He loves Orson Scott Card. Connie Willis is another good author--try Passages, for one.