7.02.2006

I hope everyone is having a super 4th of July long weekend...

or short one, if that is the case for you.

Some photography viewing for you: Zana's site. Yep, it's Zana Briski's work!

My mother was in town and went home to Miami today. It was not a bad visit. For those of you who have been here before, you know that "not a bad visit" is great news. We sat together, talked over pasta with gorgonzola and walnuts, and a mellow French Merlot. We had a serious conversation about the immigration situation in the United States. My mother surprised me with her views on immigration -- she herself being an immigrant. We tackled so many topics within the subject of immigration, that I decided to make it a lesson plan for me and A, and I'll post it here later.

We plan to see Shakespeare in the Park on the 4th. Warning: if you live in New York and plan to do the same, on any other day, arrive EARLY. Like, 8 a.m. - 9 a.m. for 1 p.m. ticket pick-up, mkay? Because Liev Schreiber is performing. And, for you Jane Austen/BBC fans, so is Jennifer Ehle.

As for Meryl Streep, I imagine the lines will begin around the cock's crow. Good to bring games, books, etc., with your blankets and lounge chairs while you wait. Come to think of it, now is a good time to learn to knit. I saw a gentleman knitting socks waiting in the Macbeth line this weekend (you guessed it: we showed up too late, at 11 a.m. for the 1 p.m. ticket pick-up!).

Alexander and I are figuring out our Halloween characters for this year. I am adamant that I be Frida Kahlo. A wants to be Ansel Adams. Now is a good time to get to work on our costuming.

I love costuming.

Films we've been watching this weekend: Munich, Amelie, Chariots of Fire, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (with the lovely Helena Bonham-Carter). Munich and Frankenstein being the "discussion" films.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I look forward to my children being a bit older and watching adult movies with them. It sounds so fun! ;-)