11.19.2006

Congratulations, LaMai. Have some Bolly.

I finally landed a gig from which I can retire. Unfortunately, it is not at CN, because they took too long to process my stuff. Fortunately, though, my new job IS at a network television corporation which everyone knows and loves, and I am a notch higher on the executive ladder there than I would have been at CN.

Ironically, on Friday, the last day before my first day at work at the new gig, my freelance agency called and asked if I could work for that magazine that sounds like "Brogue" which is all about fashion, and is at the CN building in Times Square. And this is what my day was like:

10 a.m. Arrive at my desk. Get coffee from the break room. There are martini glasses in the break room.

11:15 a.m. There is a Closet here. Which is an office, with brand new shoes that reach up to the ceiling. They are all color-coordinated. I am looking at the red ones right now. I love Jimmy Choo.

12:20 p.m. Oh. My. G-d. Anna W.'s office is around the corner from my desk. Oh. My. G-d.

1:30 p.m. I have been offered a cupcake. I eat it, because none of my skinny counterparts will.

2:47 p.m. What's with all the stuff in the Laura Mercier bags?

2:58 p.m. Gay men in tight jeans move a clothes rack past my office. I want the clothes on the rack.

3:22 p.m. Fake British accent walks past my office and says "daaaaaahling."

3:24 p.m. An employee tells me she is going on Thanksgiving holiday to Marrakesh. I say, "Oh, cool. You've picked a cosmopolitan part of Morocco." She says, "Er...cosmopolitan? No. I don't think so!" She has never been to Morocco and I look up the adjective "cosmopolitan" on Merriam-Webster online, while she is in my office. I leave the screen on for a while. Definition #3 is in full view. She notices.

4:40 p.m. Morocco girl has difficulty with the clock on her computer. She complains it is a few seconds too fast.

5:00 p.m. My "Brogue" supervisor has given me a glowing review of my work, which is summed up by my having noticed that Calvin Klein's name is not spelled "Calvink Klein" and that em dashes should not be replaced with double hyphens.

5:00 p.m. Fiddle around with the Macs. There is no security for the G4 or G5 laptops, but there is a security guard standing over the Jimmy Choos.

5:55 p.m. Visit Anna W.'s corner again.

6:00 p.m. Go home. Look forward to working at a new job on Monday, that has nothing to do with waif skinny co-workers, Jimmy Choo shoes, or Anna W.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats, LaMai, and have fun today! Not too much Bolly til after work lol.

PS On the Mac with Blogger, how does one make em dashes?