10.28.2004

deadlines, deadlines...




I guess the downside of not homeschooling is not really knowing what your child's deadlines at school really are, all the time. Exhibit A: Conversations with me and A this week, after several days of his absence from school, causing us to really really work hard with "catch-up"...

Monday-
A: I need poster paper by Wednesday.
Me: OK. Do you have to have the poster together by then?
A: Yes.

Tuesday night at 10 pm-
A: I need my presentation costume tomorrow.
Me: WHAT??????????????????????
[Maitresse frantically calls up Miguel, the firm-provided driver and now Maitresse's friend.]
Me: MIGUEL OH MY GOD DO YOU HAVE A COMPAY SEGUNDO HAT AND SHIRT?????PLEASE HELP MEEEEEEE.....
Miguel: You've got to be kidding me.
[Miguel attempts to drive up to his grandmother's in the Upper Upper West Side, but doesn't make it, because he was already running late, and has to pick me up from work]
Me: OK. Serenity now. I am actually going to ignore A's costume deadline. He told me too late. Even by Manhattan standards.

Wednesday-
A: I need poster paper by tomorrow. You forgot it.
Me: Oh, man.

Thursday-
A: I need a Halloween costume by tomorrow, Friday. There's a contest at school.
Me: Erm...Yeah, actually got that. Look in the bag downstairs. We'll hand-make the rest of it at home before tomorrow.
A: What about the poster paper?
Me: Oh, man.

When I create deadlines at home, I permit fluidity. If A is working diligently on a project and requires more time, and it is not an "excuse" sort of extension, I allow the extension. But deadlines are a skill that must be learned. Eventually, once A is in college/university, he will actively need the skill of "meeting the deadline."

How do you treat deadlines?

It turns out poster isn't really due until Wednesday of next week. Why the teacher needs the poster paper this week is beyond me. She has said that she wants it completed at home. Anyway, rushing to get poster paper...

No comments: