2.27.2007

Conversations

...with A's rowing coach. We talk about school options, how far A can get college-wise as a rower in NYC. Turns out a few rowing mates of A's have been accepted to Dartmouth, Brown, M.I.T. and Princeton on the strength of their crew experience. I tell Coach about A's applications to boarding schools that have rowing teams. I tell him my fears and hopes.

Coach: "Well, you know, your son is a New York kid. I see him with his camera. He's artsy. He should stay here."
Me: [in total surprise that Coach has said "New York kid" -- when did us Florida folk become "New York" folk?] : Yes, I'd like him to stay here in the City, honestly. What about the racing team?
Coach: "If you need me to make a call to one of the boarding schools, let me know. I know all the coaches there."
Me: Thanks. Thanks, so much. Hey, what about the racing team? For this year? Do you think A can make the cut?
Coach: "Oh, I don't even have to think about that one. He's automatically on the racing team. He'll be a junior racer this year."

Sweet!

***

Today, BTBSA called me. It was a frantic phone call.

BTBSA Lady: "DO YOU HAVE YOUR FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS? WE NEED YOUR FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS! FINANCIAL AID IS DUE NOW. NOW!"
Me: Erm, okay. I filled out the PFS stuff, and...
BTBSA Lady: "WE DON'T HAVE IT! CAN YOU CALL THEM? PLEASE!"
Me: Erm, okay.
BTBSA lady: "AND SEND ME A .PDF OF YOUR 1040 AND W2s!!!!!!"
ME: Erm, okay.

I sent a .pdf of only my 1040. Because I don' normally have my W2s lying around on my desk at work. That would be weird.

***

I ring up Left Field Boarding School.

Me: Erm, hi. My name is LaMai. My son's name is A. Do you have our documents?
LFBS Dude: Who are you?
Me: LaMai.
LFBS Dude: Oh. OH, RIGHT. One of our Board members called me about your son...

***

I am a mad woman.

No comments: